Welcome to F.P.C.C.
The Centre in its current form, was established as a not for profit community cooperative in 1989. The origins of the Centre, however, go back as far as 1925, when a kiosk was first erected on the current site. By 1943, midway through World War Two, that kiosk had grown into an integral part of the local community providing amongst other services, family care and maternal child health care. These two services, were essential, to the large number of local mum’s and children who were without the support of their husbands and fathers at that time.
In 1989 a restructure of the Community Centre was completed and since then the Fawkner Park Children’s Centre Co-operative, the South Yarra Maternal and Child Health Centre, the South Yarra Senior Citizen’s Centre and the Tennis Centre have all utilised the building and its surrounds. The Centre underwent an expansion that was completed in 2010. The expansion increased the number of places for children aged three and under by approximately 50%. The new extension was officially opened by the Lord Mayor at the Centre’s 21st birthday celebration in October 2010.
The extension of the Centre was funded by a combination of fundraising and significant contributions from the Melbourne City Council and the Department of Education and Training.